Raw Mocha Tart
Posted on June 11 2018
By Chloe Moir Nutritionist
If you love chocolate, coffee and tasty treats then you will love this Raw Mocha Tart too. It is gluten-free, refined sugar free and dairy-free and tastes AHMAZING!
- The tart tin I used was quite big - it measured 26cm in diameter. If your tart tin is much smaller, I would suggest you halve the filling. Leave the base measurements the same and any left over you can roll into balls and keep in the freezer as tasty snacks!
- I always soak the cashew nuts over night as this makes them super soft and easy to blend. However, if your food processor or blender is quite powerful then you could get away with soaking them in boiling water for at least an hour.
- For the coffee - I just added 2 Tbsp of ground coffee beans to a plunger with about 1 3/4 cups of boiling water then after it had brewed I measured out 1 & 1/2 cups for the recipe.
- With all of my healthy treats I always use an unscented coconut oil as otherwise I find the coconut oil taste can be a little overpowering especially with things like raw desserts. I buy Blue Coconut from Pak'nSave which comes in a 1L tub - perfect for cooking, baking, taking your make up off and giving to the dog too! 😁
Raw Mocha Tart
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (or 100% cocoa powder)
- Pinch of sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup dates
- 3 Tbsp Blue Coconut Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups of cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup cacao powder (or 100% cocoa powder)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1/2 cup Blue Coconut Coconut Oil
- 1 & 1/2 cups strong coffee
- To make the base, first soften the dates by covering with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes. Drain well and squeeze out as much water as possible - this makes them easier to blend.
- If a food processor or high powered blender, blend the almonds, walnuts, coconut, cacao powder and salt. Add the rest of the base ingredients and pulse to combine.
- Press the mixture into a tart tin. Leave it to set in the freezer while you make the mocha filling.
- To make the mocha filling drain and rinse the cashew nuts, place cashews with all other ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. This can take a couple of minutes depending on the power of the blender or processor that you are using.
- Pour over the base and leave in the freezer to set for 2-3 hours (or until firm) before slicing. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or freezer for up to 4-6 weeks.