Healthy Raw Brownies
Posted on November 16 2017
Healthy Raw Brownies
I love a good brownie... actually I love anything that comes in a ‘chocolate’ form….so I am always on a mission to create new healthy versions of my fav sweet treats. A healthy brownie recipe has been on my ‘hit-list’ and finally after a few attempts, I've nailed it.
As this is dairy-free and packed full of nutrients it is really good for breastfeeding mums or mums that are up in the wee hours feeding… actually this also fits well for the 3pm pick me up (a side of coffee with it!).
This beauty is dairy-free, gluten-free, free of refined sugar (just some dates for sweetness) AND better yet is packed full of good fats, iron (in the nuts) with some anti-inflammatory properties from coconut and coconut oil!
If you are unsure about coconut oil you can read my earlier blog on the low down on this here.
I think you will be really surprised by how easy this is – that is always my thing with recipes they have to be super easy with as few steps as possible!
2 Cups of dates
2 Cups of roasted almonds
2 Cups of walnuts
4 Tb coconut oil (heaped)
1 Cup of desiccated coconut
1/4 Cup of coco powder
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1/2 Cup of coconut oil
1/2 Cup of coco powder
3-4 Tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a food processor place in the dates, almonds, walnuts, coconut oil and blitz together.
- In a large separate bowl place in the desiccated coconut, coco powder and vanilla essence. Add in the nut mixture from the processor and mix to combine.
- Press into a lined tin, leaving a good over-hang to make getting out easy (I found a square cake tin a good size). Place in the fridge while preparing the icing.
- Make the healthy chocolate by melting the coconut oil in a saucepan on the stove, then add in the remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth. Simply pour over the slightly cold base (I just tip the pan to spread evenly) and then pop back in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Lift out onto a board. Cut into squares and tuck in! Keeps in the fridge for about five-seven days…if they last that long!