This Orange and Almond Cake is refined sugar free and packed full of flavour and zest. It's the perfect morning tea served with a dollop of Greek Yoghurt and a hot cup of tea.
3 x oranges
8 x medjool dates
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup ground almonds
1 & 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Place 2 oranges (unpeeled) in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered for 45 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until fluffy
- Place the cooled whole oranges into a blender, add the dates, coconut oil and egg yolk and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl. Mix through the dry ingredients.
- Lastly, carefully fold through the egg whites.
- Thinly slice remaining orange. Cover the bottom of a lined large round cake tin with the orange slices. Pour the cake mixture over the top.
- Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until golden on top. Check using a skewer. If still wet on the inside continue baking and check again every 5 minutes.