Finding a healthy store-bought pizza base can be challenging. As with most packaged foods, it’s much safer to just make your own! Check out this Homemade Pizza recipe where we created the base using oats.
Homemade Pizza Bases
1 cup warm water
2 tsp honey
1 Tbsp active dry yeast (not instant)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
3 cups oat flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tomato, finely sliced
1 x capsicum, finely sliced
¼ red onion, finely sliced
3 Tbsp olives, diced
3 Tbsp grated cheese
Chilli flakes – optional
To make the dough:
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, stir together warm water, honey and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until fully dissolved. Stir in olive oil.
- Measure 3 cups of oat flour into a large bowl (you should have extra for dusting). Add salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir to combine. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Use additional oat flour on your hands to keep dough from sticking.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest while oven preheats and you prepare your toppings.
To make pizza:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Press dough thinly into a baking paper lined tray or pizza plate (approx 14”). Bake for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the rest of the toppings.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is baked and cheese is bubbling.
- Allow to cool slightly, then slice and serve.