How amazing does this Apple, Walnut & Date Loaf look by Chloe Moir Nutrition! It’s such a yummy winter recipe, and a great way to use up those extra apples in the fruit bowl.
Apple, Walnut & Date Loaf
1/2 cup dates
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp maple syrup
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 cup grated apple (about 2 apples)
1 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup coconut four
1/2 cup walnuts
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp ground almonds
2 Tbsp crushed walnuts
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees fan bake.
- Place dates in a bowl, cover with boiling water. Stand for 10 minutes then pour into a strainer. Leave for 5 minutes so most of the water drips out of the dates.
- In a large bowl mash the dates with a fork or potato masher. Add the coconut oil, eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup, lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and pour in the batter.
- To make the crumble topping, in a small bowl, add the crushed walnuts, ground almonds, coconut sugar and coconut oil. Pour this mixture over the top of the loaf.
- Cover the loaf with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- To check the cake is cooked through, insert a knife into the middle, the knife should come out clean. If there is still raw mixture on the knife then put the cake back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool down before slicing.