Carrot cake has got to be one of THE BEST cakes ever! This healthy spin is such a great alternative to the traditional sugar laden cake while still tasting amazing....better than the real thing in fact! The cashew cream icing definitely makes it so don't skip this step 😁.
- This recipe makes one large cake which took quite a while to cook in the oven. Alternatively you could pour the cake batter into 2 cake tins, reduce the cooking time and add icing in between the 2 layers! 😋
- For the cashew icing, I always soak the cashew nuts over night as this makes them super soft and easy to blend. However, if your food processor or blender is quite powerful then you could get away with soaking them in boiling water for at least an hour.
- With all of my healthy treats I always use an unscented coconut oil as otherwise I find the coconut oil taste can be a little overpowering especially with treats. I buy Blue Coconut from Pak'nSave which comes in a 1L tub - perfect for cooking, baking, taking your make up off and giving to the dog too!
Carrot Cake with Cashew Cream Icing
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 ripe banana
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Blue Coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium sized carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup sultanas
CASHEW CREAM ICING:
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup Blue Coconut oil, melted
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
Optional toppings: walnuts, goji berries, pumpkin seeds.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees fan bake.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mash the banana, and then add the rest of the wet ingredients, mix well.
- Fold together the wet ingredients and dry ingredient together with the grated carrot, walnuts and sultanas.
- Pour the batter into a cake tin.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes until the cake is cooked through.
- To check the cake is cooked through, insert a knife into the middle, the knife should come out clean. If there is still raw mixture on the knife then put the cake back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Leave to fully cool down before you ice it.
- To make the cashew icing, blend together all of the ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor.
- Ice the cake with the cashew icing, if the icing is runny leave it in the fridge to firm up a little.
- Store the cake in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to a month.